What is Android
// By:Team // No Comment
- Before learning all topics of android, it is required to know what is android.
- Android is a software package and linux based operating system for mobile devices such as tablet computers and smartphones.
- It is developed by Google and later the OHA (Open Handset Alliance). Java language is mainly used to write the android code even though other languages can be used.
- The goal of android project is to create a successful real-world product that improves the mobile experience for end users.
- There are many code names of android such as Lollipop, Kitkat, Jelly Bean, Ice cream Sandwich, Froyo, Ecliar, Donut etc which is covered in next page.
What is Open Handset Alliance (OHA)
- It’s a consortium of 84 companies such as google, samsung, AKM, synaptics, KDDI, Garmin, Teleca, Ebay, Intel etc.
- It was established on 5th November, 2007, led by Google. It is committed to advance open standards, provide services and deploy handsets using the Android Plateform.
Features of Android
After learning what is android, let’s see the features of android. The important features of android are given below:
1) It is open-source.
2) Anyone can customize the Android Platform.
3) There are a lot of mobile applications that can be chosen by the consumer.
4) It provides many interesting features like weather details, opening screen, live RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds etc.
It provides support for messaging services(SMS and MMS), web browser, storage (SQLite), connectivity (GSM, CDMA, Blue Tooth, Wi-Fi etc.), media, handset layout etc.
Categories of Android applications
There are many android applications in the market. The top categories are:
- Music and Audio
- Media and Video
- Travel and Local etc.